Help control HS flare-ups with this advice.
If you have hidradenitis suppurativa (HS), an inflammatory skin condition characterized by painful cysts and bumps, making adjustments to your lifestyle is critical for keeping flares in check.
Taking medication is usually critical for keeping the disease at bay, but dermatologists have found that certain specific lifestyle changes can also help HS patients have better control of their condition, fewer and less severe flare-ups, and clearer skin. Here are five tips that derms wish their hidradenitis suppurativa patients would put into practice.
1. Lose weight if you need to. “No one really knows exactly what triggers this condition, but it certainly has been found that obese patients have a high incidence of hidradenitis suppurativa,” says Hirshel Kahn, MD, a dermatologist at The Mount Sinai Hospital. Shedding 15% of your body weight can reduce the severity of HS symptoms significantly. What’s more, dropping pounds also reduces your risk of serious chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.
2. Quit smoking. Smokers are nearly 10 times more likely to have HS than non-smokers, and smoking is a major trigger for HS symptoms. Kicking your smoking habit is a win-win for people with HS: It helps prevent HS flare-ups and also improves your overall health and quality of life. Here are proven strategies to help smokers quit for good.
3. Skip the skinny jeans. Tight-fitting clothing and waist bands can exacerbate HS symptoms and put pressure on cysts makes them more painful, says Dr. Kahn. Wear breathable, loose-fitting clothing that minimizes contact with the skin to help HS symptoms, as well as prevent new outbreaks.
4. Use gentle personal care products. “I recommend patients to use mild washes [for their skin], and mild detergents for washing underwear and clothing,” says Dr. Kahn. During menstrual periods, women should use tampons instead of pads to minimize excess moisture in the area which can trigger HS symptoms. Some antiperspirants may do more harm than good, so if you need a product to help minimize sweating, talk to your dermatologist.
5. Don’t shave affected areas. Shaving the areas where you have hidradenitis suppurativa breakouts can be painful and irritating. “Better options for hair removal are laser hair removal, or even using a fine scissors to trim areas,” says Dr. Kahn.
Every person is unique—and each case of HS is different. “No matter how hard you try to prevent HS flare-ups, they can often still happen. But we have many different choices of medication to use to treat them when they happen,” says Dr. Kahn. These tips can help reduce the severity of hidradenitis suppurativa flare-ups, but it’s always a good idea to check with your dermatologist to find the HS treatment path that’s right for you.
Dr. Kahn is a board-certified dermatologist and assistant clinical professor at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City.
00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:02,260
00:00:02,260 --> 00:00:07,816
Hidradenitis suppurativa will often
stay clear for long periods of time and
00:00:07,816 --> 00:00:12,010
will sometimes then flare up for
no apparent reason.
00:00:12,010 --> 00:00:18,692
But there are certainly ways of preventing
and treating these flare ups as needed.
00:00:18,692 --> 00:00:23,850
00:00:23,850 --> 00:00:28,257
A hidradenitis suppurativa
flare occurs when
00:00:28,257 --> 00:00:32,915
lesions become painful,
swollen, and pussy.
00:00:32,915 --> 00:00:38,465
No one really knows exactly what triggers
this condition but it certainly has
00:00:38,465 --> 00:00:44,355
been found that obese patients have a high
incident of hidradenitis suppurativa.
00:00:44,355 --> 00:00:50,230
And it's also being shown that patients
who lose 15% of their body weight
00:00:50,230 --> 00:00:55,540
experience a significant improvement
in their hidradenitis suppurativa.
00:00:55,540 --> 00:01:00,817
Smokers are ten times more likely
to develop hidradenitis suppurativa
00:01:00,817 --> 00:01:06,430
than non smokers, but
no one knows the exact mechanism for that.
00:01:06,430 --> 00:01:10,570
Tight fitting clothing certainly
exacerbates the symptoms.
00:01:10,570 --> 00:01:14,840
Pressure on cysts makes them more painful.
00:01:14,840 --> 00:01:18,620
Wearing loose fitting clothing may help
00:01:18,620 --> 00:01:23,490
the symptoms as well as
prevent new outbreaks.
00:01:23,490 --> 00:01:28,523
Because hidradenitis suppurativa
is an inflammatory condition,
00:01:28,523 --> 00:01:34,527
anything that irritates or abrades the
skin is gonna aggravate the condition and
00:01:34,527 --> 00:01:37,160
cause more inflammation.
00:01:37,160 --> 00:01:43,710
In terms of daily skin care, I recommend
patients should use mild washes,
00:01:43,710 --> 00:01:48,400
mild detergents for
washing underwear and clothing.
00:01:48,400 --> 00:01:54,590
And for female patients, it's often
helpful to use tampons instead of pads
00:01:54,590 --> 00:02:00,255
because those may irritate the area and
also cause more moisture in the area,
00:02:00,255 --> 00:02:03,935
and thereby exacerbate
00:02:03,935 --> 00:02:07,205
Another question patients ask me about is
00:02:07,205 --> 00:02:11,835
hair removal in the areas affected
by hidradenitis suppurativa.
00:02:11,835 --> 00:02:15,085
Shaving is going to irritate and
00:02:15,085 --> 00:02:21,190
potentially aggravate the condition, so
patients should not shave those areas.
00:02:21,190 --> 00:02:25,830
Better options of hair removal
are laser hair removal, or
00:02:25,830 --> 00:02:29,750
even using a fine scissors to trim areas.
00:02:29,750 --> 00:02:34,744
No matter how hard you try to prevent
hidradenitis suppurativa flare ups,
00:02:34,744 --> 00:02:37,020
they can often still happen.
00:02:37,020 --> 00:02:41,814
But we have many different choices
of medication to use to treat them
00:02:41,814 --> 00:02:43,170
when they happen.
00:02:43,170 --> 00:02:47,764
Hidradenitis suppurativa. American Academy of Dermatology Association. (Accessed on January 20, 2021 at https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/painful-skin-joints/hidradenitis-suppurativa#tips)
Kromann CB, Ibler KS, Kristiansen VB, Jemec GB. The influence of body weight on the prevalence and severity of hidradenitis suppurativa. Acta Derm Venereol. 2014 Sep;94(5):553-7Cigarette smoking as a triggering factor of hidradenitis suppurativa. Marburg, Germany: Department of Dermatology, Philipp University, 1999. (Accessed on January 17, 2018 at http://pmj.bmj.com/content/90/1062/216) Dufour DN, Emtestam L, Jemec GB. Hidradenitis suppurativa: a common and burdensome, yet under-recognised, inflammatory skin disease. Postgrad Med J. 2014 Apr;90(1062):216-21