For those suffering from schizophrenia there are various treatments. Dr. Susan Samuels explains the difference between medications and more.
There are various treatments for those suffering from schizophrenia. In this video, Dr. Susan Samuels explains the difference between medication treatments, social skills training, assertive community treatment and psychosocial interventions and treatments. Many of these are challenging and take time to work but it is worth it in the long run to find the right treatment for you.
Dr. Samuels is an assistant professor of clinical psychiatry and clinical pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medicine and an assistant attending psychiatrist at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
- Pharmacotherapy for schizophrenia: Long-acting injectable antipsychotic drugs. Chatham, MA: Uptodate, 2021 (Accessed on February 27, 2022 at https://www.uptodate.com/contents/pharmacotherapy-for-schizophrenia-long-acting-injectable-antipsychotic-drugs)
- Lasebikan VO, Ayinde OO. Family Burden in Caregivers of Schizophrenia Patients: Prevalence and Socio-demographic Correlates. Indian J Psychol Med. 2013;35(1):60-66. doi:10.4103/0253-7176.112205
- Family Members and Caregivers. Arlington, VA: NAMI. (Accessed on February 27, 2022 at https://www.nami.org/Your-Journey/Family-Members-and-Caregivers)
- Schizophrenia: Overview. Arlington, VA: NAMI (Accessed on February 27, 2022 at http://www.nami.org/LearnMore/MentalHealthConditions/Schizophrenia)
- Psychosocial Treatments. Arlington, VA: NAMI (Accessed on February 27, 2022 at https://www.nami.org/About-Mental-Illness/Treatments/Psychosocial-Treatments)