What is gout? Gout is a common inflammatory arthritis. Gout symptoms are often brought on by diet, and include inflammation and pain of your joints.
What is gout? Gout is a common type of inflammatory arthritis that is often brought on by what you eat. Because of this, it is also one of the most controllable types of arthritis. Gout typically affects one joint and is caused by a crystallization of uric acid. Gout symptoms inflammation and pain. In this video, Dr. Holly Atkinson explains the stages of gout and who is at risk for this debilitating disease.
- Nuki G and Simkin PA. A concise History of Gout and Hyperuricemia and their treatment. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006;8 Suppl 1:S1. Epub 2006 Apr 12.
- Grassi D et al. Chronic Hyperuriciemia, Uric Acid Deposit and Cardiovascular risk. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 2013, 19, 2432-2438
- Gout: Fast facts. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/IAmA/ PatientCaregiver/DiseasesConditions/Gout downloaded 1/12/2017
- CDC. Atlanta. July 2016. Downloaded 1/12/2017
- Roughly MJ et al. Gout and risk of chronic kidney disease and nephrolithiasis: metaanalysis of observational studies. Arthritis Res Ther. 2015 Apr 1;17:90
- “Gout Diet” Gouts.org
- “What is Gout? Fast Facts: An Easy-to-Read Series of Publications for the Public” NIH, Bethesda. Downloaded 1/12/2017.
- “Gout Diet: What’s Allowed, what’s not” Mayo clinic. Rochester MN. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthylifestyle/nutritionandhealthyeating/indepth/goutdiet/art20048524?p=1 downloaded 1/12/2017
- Questions and Answers about Gout. NIH, Bethesda https://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/gout/ downloaded 1/12/2017.
- Becker MA. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of gout. December 2016.
- Becker MA. Treatment of acute gout. December 2016.
Note: These are all the sources used for every video in this series, not every source listed was used in this specific video.