COPD is not a reversible condition so it is very important to try and prevent this disease and treat it early if you are diagnosed. In this video, Dr. Holly Atkinson explains how to prevent COPD, stating that the absolute best way to prevent COPD is to stay away from smoking. If you’re already a smoker, now is the time to stop. More than 85% of COPD cases are caused from smoking tobacco. That's because a chemical in smoke stimulates inflammation in the lungs, leading to chronic bronchitis or emphysema. For diagnosing COPD, your doctor may administer a PFT (pulmonary function test) to get a better idea of how advanced your symptoms are.
1. COPD Factsheet. American Lung Association. Chicago, IL. May 2014. http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/copd/resources/facts-figures/COPD-Fact-Sheet.html downloaded 10/22/14.
2. What is COPD? COPD Foundation. Washington DC. http://www.copdfoundation.org/What-is-COPD/Understanding-COPD/What-is-COPD.aspx Downloaded 8/31/2014.
3. Learn COPD Basics. COPD.com http://www.copd.com/about-copd/?rotation=71700000006639320&ban…=4640436560&cc=us:p1114c00183:e1:w1:p20&pid=0436560&google=p_ GlaxoSmithKline (GSK). Clifton, NJ. Downloaded 9/1/2014.
4. St. Florian I. Nutrition and COPD: Dietary Considerations for Better Breathing. Today’s dietitician. 11 (2), 54. February 2009.
5. Lomas DA and Silverman EK. The genetics of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Respir Res 2001, 2:20–26.
6. Reily JJ, Silverman EK, and Shapiro SD. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine: Chapter 260: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. McGraw Hill, United States. 2011
7. How is COPD Treated? NHLBI, NIH. Washington DC. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd/treatment.html downloaded 10/23/2014.
8. Wise RA. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Related Disorders: Merck Manual Professional online edition. Whitehouse Station, NJ. June 2014.
©2005-2017 HealthiNation, Inc. All rights reserved. HealthiNation does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.