Want to know what is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease? Watch this video with Dr. Holly Atkinson who explains what COPD is. 16 million adults over the age of 40 struggle to breathe on a regular basis due to Chronis Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. While there are some hereditary causes, 85% is related to smoking tobacco. Smoking with COPD progresses the disease, so it's important to quit as quickly as possible.
1. COPD Factsheet. American Lung Association. Chicago, IL. May 2014. http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/copd/resources/facts-figures/COPD-Fact-Sheet.html downloaded 10/22/14.
2. What is COPD? COPD Foundation. Washington DC. http://www.copdfoundation.org/What-is-COPD/Understanding-COPD/What-is-COPD.aspx Downloaded 8/31/2014.
3. Learn COPD Basics. COPD.com http://www.copd.com/about-copd/?rotation=71700000006639320&ban…=4640436560&cc=us:p1114c00183:e1:w1:p20&pid=0436560&google=p_ GlaxoSmithKline (GSK). Clifton, NJ. Downloaded 9/1/2014.
4. St. Florian I. Nutrition and COPD: Dietary Considerations for Better Breathing. Today’s dietitician. 11 (2), 54. February 2009.
5. Lomas DA and Silverman EK. The genetics of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Respir Res 2001, 2:20–26.
6. Reily JJ, Silverman EK, and Shapiro SD. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine: Chapter 260: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. McGraw Hill, United States. 2011
7. How is COPD Treated? NHLBI, NIH. Washington DC. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd/treatment.html downloaded 10/23/2014.
8. Wise RA. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Related Disorders: Merck Manual Professional online edition. Whitehouse Station, NJ. June 2014.