Dr. Sonali Bose discusses important questions to consider when you have a COPD diagnosis. First, what is COPD? COPD can be difficult to understand, so take time to review what the diagnosis means for you. You should also consider what to expect from living with COPD and since this is a progressive condition, ways you can slow the progression of COPD.
1. COPD Factsheet. American Lung Association. Chicago, IL. May 2014. http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/copd/resources/facts-figures/COPD-Fact-Sheet.html downloaded 10/22/14.
2. What is COPD? COPD Foundation. Washington DC. http://www.copdfoundation.org/What-is-COPD/Understanding-COPD/What-is-COPD.aspxDownloaded 8/31/2014.
3. Learn COPD Basics. COPD.com http://www.copd.com/about-copd/?rotation=71700000006639320&ban…=4640436560&cc=us:p1114c00183:e1:w1:p20&pid=0436560&google=p_ GlaxoSmithKline (GSK). Clifton, NJ. Downloaded 9/1/2014.
4. St. Florian I. Nutrition and COPD: Dietary Considerations for Better Breathing. Today’s dietitician. 11 (2), 54. February 2009.
5. Lomas DA and Silverman EK. The genetics of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Respir Res 2001, 2:20–26.
6. Reily JJ, Silverman EK, and Shapiro SD. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine: Chapter 260: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. McGraw Hill, United States. 2011
7. How is COPD Treated? NHLBI, NIH. Washington DC. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd/treatment.html downloaded 10/23/2014.
8. Wise RA. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Related Disorders: Merck Manual Professional online edition. Whitehouse Station, NJ. June 2014.
©2005-2017 HealthiNation, Inc. All rights reserved. HealthiNation does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.