Dr. Sonali Bose overviews the current understanding of COPD in the medical field and how COPD is now considered to be an umbrella for many unique experiences of the condition. Due to this, it can be challenging to find the right COPD treatment option. Inhalers work quite well to expand airways. However, new versions of these COPD medications allow these medications to work more quickly and may combine multiple drugs together.
1. COPD Factsheet. American Lung Association. Chicago, IL. May 2014. http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/copd/resources/facts-figures/COPD-Fact-Sheet.html downloaded 10/22/14.
2. What is COPD? COPD Foundation. Washington DC. http://www.copdfoundation.org/What-is-COPD/Understanding-COPD/What-is-COPD.aspxDownloaded 8/31/2014.
3. Learn COPD Basics. COPD.com http://www.copd.com/about-copd/?rotation=71700000006639320&ban…=4640436560&cc=us:p1114c00183:e1:w1:p20&pid=0436560&google=p_ GlaxoSmithKline (GSK). Clifton, NJ. Downloaded 9/1/2014.
4. St. Florian I. Nutrition and COPD: Dietary Considerations for Better Breathing. Today’s dietitician. 11 (2), 54. February 2009.
5. Lomas DA and Silverman EK. The genetics of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Respir Res 2001, 2:20–26.
6. Reily JJ, Silverman EK, and Shapiro SD. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine: Chapter 260: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. McGraw Hill, United States. 2011
7. How is COPD Treated? NHLBI, NIH. Washington DC. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd/treatment.html downloaded 10/23/2014.
8. Wise RA. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Related Disorders: Merck Manual Professional online edition. Whitehouse Station, NJ. June 2014.